Open Position: Program Director for Sociology at NSF
via UVA CHARGE
NSF is seeking a qualified candidates to fill the position of Program Director for the Sociology Program in the Division of Social and Economic Sciences (SES), Directorate for Social, Behavioral, and Economic Sciences (SBE) in Arlington, VA.
This Program Director will manage the Sociology Program, with specific responsibilities that may include the following:
Program Planning and Management
• Maintain a healthy balance of support for all the needs of the research and education enterprise either through program, division, directorate, foundation or interagency activities;
• Manage program resources so as to provide optimal appropriate scientific judgment to insure integrity and consistency in the grant/declination process without conflict of interests and with balance among appropriate sub-fields, institutions and participation of all qualified scientist. Incorporate cross-directorate responsibilities into program administration;
• Manage an effective, timely merit review process, with attention to increasing the size and quality of the reviewer pools and insuring participation by women, minorities and disabled scientists;
• Provide scientific expertise, evaluation and advice for other programs in NSF, including international programs, other research programs and cross-directorate programs;
• Advise and assist in the development of short- and long-range plans, establishing goals and objectives for research programs. Plan the budget for the program/programs considering past, present and future fiscal years, allocate resources within the budget distributing scarce resources among major competitive programs and manage post-award evaluation;
• Control waste, fraud and abuse.
Representation, Communication and Leadership
• Represent the Program, Division and Foundation within the scientific community, with other NSF Divisions, with other appropriate agencies and organizations and with the public, accurately reflecting NSF policy and positions;
• Create and maintain linkages to other NSF units and other Federal agencies in pursuit of the overall NSF mission;
• Participate in staff, panel, committee and other meetings, providing input relevant to Program area and/or Division;
• Pursue affirmative action and EEO goals;
• Pursue and/or be responsive to assignment on special projects and temporary functional teams from across the Foundation to solve problems, improve staff communication and effect coordination for special programs;
• Contribute ideas and effort to improving the quality of policies and NSF’s performance of the overall mission. Develop policies and plans for strengthening research and education programs. Provide information to the community on how NSF is pursuing its mission and gather data and impressions from the community on the effectiveness of NSF’s performance of its mission;
• Prepare and disseminate a variety of informational documents, which may include data on progress being made toward NSF’s goals, trends and opportunities papers and budget plans;
• Establish contacts and maintain active involvement in program and related areas through participation in professional activities. Maintain familiarity with salient current research developments. Pursue individual research as workload and travel funds permit;
• Expand administrative capabilities through training courses or assumption of new management responsibilities.
Read more about Social Scientist (Program Director) at https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/508460700